Executive Certificate Program on Emerging Technologies – India’s Costal & Seaport Security Management
Mission – Panchamukhi (7516 Kms)
Programme being Jointly conducted by ASCI in collaboration with CHSS
Promoted by: Vidya Technos, a division of VTFB Systems Pvt Ltd.
India has 12 major Seaports&180 minor seaports which are vital for the economic security of the country. Seaports and Coasts are very significant in the overall national security scenario and prone to many traditional and non-traditional security challenges such as maritime piracy, terrorism, smuggling, infiltration and human trafficking. With the rise in maritime trade, it has increasingly become difficult to scan all cargo containers, which hampers the global supply chains. Recently India has achieved the export target of $ 400 billion which makes Sagarmala, port led prosperity project essential in increasing and meeting its international trade objectives. The transportation cost of ocean transport is strategically lower than the other means of transportation, due to which Seaports have a direct impact on economic status and international trade developments of developed countries as well as developing countries.
The development of modern port facilities requires the use of modern emerging information and communication technologies, digital solutions and innovative business models, which inevitably requires latest effective solutions based on Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning technologies along with other technologies such as blockchain, IoT& 5G and networking systems as backbone.
Port security management has become even more challenging given the exponential rise of emerging technologies and its disproportionate influence on all the vital installations within the national security architecture. Increasingly the safety and security of such infrastructure is becoming heavily dependent on Information Technology (IT) and operational technology (OT) based digital surveillance and management systems. These systems, irrespective of the enhanced security features, are prone to hacking, malwares and other cyber as well as internal attacks. For example malicious use of Artificial Intelligence (MUAI) when used for such attacks or for digital tapping, to track all activities, becomes a great security risk and challenge.
Emerging technologies (AI, ML, IOT, Blockchain, 5G) requires a new attitude and aptitude to handle and leverage for better security. This course provides all the relevant food for thought in all theoretical & practical aspects and inculcates ‘National will’ to solve even the most unforeseen challenges, from a security angle. This Executive Certificate Programme is designed to empower participants from a new vantage point so that the learning outcomes of this programme offers different strategies to help detect, disrupt and delay both traditional and non-traditional security threats.
1. To enable the participants to understand and appreciate the significance of Coastal & Seaport security across 7516 Kms on India’s coastline and the linkages that exists between port and coastal security with maritime and national security.
2. To enable the participants to understand and leverage the technology and use electronic surveillance for effective and efficient coastal, seaport, vital installations safety & security.
3. To empower & educate future coastal and seaport leaders to use emerging technology tools like AI, ML, IoT, Blockchain etc. help them in preparing for Maritime & Cyber security challenges.
4. Identifying common and specific (traditional and non-traditional) Cyber & Coastal Seaport security challenges at 12 major ports and other minor ports.
5. Suggest suitable security measures/administrative/ technical/institutional/legal/moral and ethical frameworks (discussing both national and international case studies)
1. Participants will gain a 360 Degree view of Coastal & port security management both from Physical and cyber security aspects.
2. Participants will be introduced to various stakeholders involved in Coastal & Sea Port security Management.
3. Various Coastal & Seaport security management policy & operational issues / concerns will be discussed which will enable the participants to build networks to find appropriate solutions.
4. Participants will be introduced to emerging technologies (AI/ML, Block chain, 5G, IoT etc.) and various applications to Coastal & Sea port security management. They will get an opportunity of learning the what, why, when and how of each particular technology platform. They will also be exposed to case studies of national and international
ports and coastal security management.
5. Participants will learn about the best practices from across the world to improve their own efficiency levels.
A) Emerging Technologies and their role in enhancing security
a. Basics of AI/ML, Blockchain, 5G, IoT
b. Basics of Cybersecurity
c. Maritime Laws & India’s adherence to various treaties & agreements
d. Security architecture around port and coastal security management
e. Roles of different agencies in port and coastal security management
f. Evolution of India’s own Coastal Security mechanism
g. Port& Vital installation Security
h. Government’s Special initiatives & Security drills
Coastal & Seaport and Vital Installation security management — leveraging emerging technologies
Application of Emerging technologies in:
a. Organized Crime identified by agencies across coasts
b. Drug Trafficking (Narco terrorism)
c. Human Trafficking
d. Illegal Fishing & Poaching
f. Importance of generation of intelligence inputs & multi agency cooperation.
g. Counter Intelligence & Counter Terrorism
h. Role of media & Smart power diplomacy
National Case Studies
International Case studies
Golden Crescent and Golden Triangle Case Studies
The people who will be attending this programme are
Officers from PSUs who manage vital and sensitive installations
Officers from the security branch of PSUs
Officers of the Indian Navy, Indian Coastguard, Marine Police, CISF, Managers of Shipping companies, Port Authorities/ Port Management Entities (both under public and private sector), Shipping Ministry and Home Ministry, Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), BSF, DRI, National Fisheries Development Board, Central Bureau of Narcotics (CBN), Customs & Central Excise, Academic/Think Tanks/ Emerging Tech Companies, Addl. DGs in charge of marine /coastal police from 9 States & 4 UTS, National Disaster Response Force NDRF Govt of India
The Programme duration is from . April 24 – 26, 2023 The participants are expected to arrive a day before the commencement and may leave after the conclusion of the Programme.
The Programme is fully residential and the participants will be accommodated in air-conditioned single occupancy rooms. The College is WiFi enabled in a comprehensive way. However, the College does not provide accommodation for the family. Transport between airport/railway station and venue will be arranged by the College.